Monday, August 9, 2010

Joan (Iversen) Robinson - Class of 1958

After graduation, I attended Humboldt State along with Carolyn York, Tamara Cossi and Gene Bowman, all of the class of 1958.


I majored in Music Education and graduated with a teaching credential in 1962. I took my first teaching job as a Music Supervisor for South Bay Schools in Eureka. I married George (Bill) Robinson that fall. I taught music 2 years, 4th grade one year in Point Arena while my husband studied abroad, and worked as the Assistant Registrar at Mills College in Oakland for two years while George completed graduate school in Hospital Administration at UC Berkely. His residency took us to Seattle, where we adopted our daughter. We moved to the Portland area when George took his first job with Kaiser Hospital and our son was born there .



Other than a brief return to the bay area, we have lived most of our married life here in the greater Portland area. I taught private music lessons while our family was young and then returned to work as a college registrar when our children were off at college. We are currently retired and will be celebrating our 50th anniversary in two years. Our daughter Julie lives nearby, works as an EMT in a hospital trauma center and is returning to school to get her nursing degree. She has given us two wonderful grandchildren, Emma 11 and Jaden 6 whom we unabashedly dote on. Our son David is a Movie Special Effects Producer and lives in Santa Monica.


I still enjoy music, love to garden and exercise, we attend the Symphony and the Theater, do some volunteering, collect first edition books and like to cook for friends. We are happy to have the oportunity to travel in retirement. I have stayed close to my best childhood friend, Carolyn York, and we have been able to share trips to Europe with she and her husband. My current goals are to stay healthy, read lots of books and complete our family genealogy, which I've been working on.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment